Skip to main content

Getting on with Potty Training



In my professional life I am a deputy head teacher of a large primary school. We encourage parents to toilet train their children before they begin school. Whilst we cannot and do not insist on it, we are aiming for children to be self reliant in this aspect of self care - providing that they don’t have a special need. At the nursery information evening, I am often approached by parents who have ‘tried everything’ with toilet training and are desperately concerned that their child may not be able to use the toilet alone by the time that they start nursery. Having been through the process, I feel a great deal of empathy towards these parents. The words ‘tried everything’ suggest why it hasn’t worked yet. I believe that switching methods, stopping, starting, different potties etc is not helpful to young children. I don’t think it matters exactly how you choose to toilet train your child but choose a method and be relentless. Have supportive friends around you, plenty of time and more pants than you ever imagined your child would need.



This is my own experience:

About a month before our planned start date I had a really big push on all the little things that I was doing towards potty training. I made sure that Little Lady sat on the potty after lunch or dinner when she was most likely to produce something. She started to become aware that other children did wees on the potty. This was mainly through conversation with her. ‘Where does Joshua do his wees? ‘ and she would reply ‘potty’. Where does mummy do her wees?  And she would reply ‘toilet’. I never thought that I’d have a conversation like that but suddenly it becomes almost normal.

I think that I was pretty naive in deciding when to begin. I had read somewhere that potty training is doable from 18 months.  I just basically picked a time when I could have a run at it when the weather might be reasonable. This coincided with the two week Easter holiday that I had, which meant that Little Lady would be 20 months old. What was I thinking?!

I had read checklists online of whether your child is ready to train and Little Lady didn’t fit everything on those lists. (Sometimes I’m too single minded for my own good!) Her major advantage was that at 20 months she had lots of language. She understood a lot of what we said to her and had plenty of words, including poo, wee, potty, nappy. The major disadvantage though was that she gave us virtually no indication of when she was weeing in her nappy and only a slight indication of producing a poo. She would also deny having a poo in her nappy. I think this was because she hated having her nappy changed. We sometimes had to pin down a screaming child to change her nappy, which was a big incentive for me to get on with the training. No one likes having a screaming child in a public loo.

I knew that it would be tough but had not realized how tough the first week would be. It is a bit of a conundrum: visitors aren’t really helpful because you need to minimise distractions so that your child can concentrate on learning to use the potty. However, not seeing other adults and being potty centred for every waking moment of a toddler’s day is tough. It very nearly tipped me over the edge into wailing, stressed mummy mode. What I needed was helpful, supportive visitors who Little Lady knew and who I trusted to help. When a friend called by on day three
, I was so grateful to have some encouragement and she helpfully cleaned up the kitchen breakfast and lunch mess so that I actually had a rest when Little Lady napped later that day.

Something that I did do right in the first week of PT was planning really, really easy meals. Freezer food which I just had to put in the oven was a great relief. All that I planned was potty training and that is all I did. It was dull and boring for Little Lady and I who were used to going out to a playgroup every day.  We also had some new toys on hand and some more toys kindly loaned to us by our next door neighbour who seemed to sense when help was needed.


Beginning the training
We began the training process by using a new doll who could wee into a potty. In another Saturday night parenting high, I had spent sometime practising with the doll on the potty to make sure it would actually produce a wee at the crucial moment.  When the big moment finally arrived, we fed the doll some water and I pretended that the doll needed the potty. After a few moments sitting the doll on the potty Little Lady was delighted to discover the doll had produced a wee. I praised the doll and gave her a sticker.  The doll was given a chocolate raisin but Little Lady had to eat it as the doll couldn’t. We threw the contents of the potty into the toilet. The use of the doll really helped to peek Little Lady’s interest.

I then introduced Little Lady to her ‘big girl pants’. I took her nappy off and we chose a pair of pants that she wanted to wear. Looking back this may have been a mistake and keeping her bare bottomed would probably have been better as we got through a lot of pairs of pants! In fact, it became a routine in the first few days to hand wash the pants during her nap so that we would have enough pairs for the next day! Thankfully the sun was shining enough to dry them.

I then got Little Lady to sit on the potty. My aim was to catch the next wee and reward her in the same way that we had rewarded the doll. She spent a while sitting on the potty looking at books then got up to wander around. In my slightly nervous state I allowed her a few minutes wandering around before getting her back on the potty. By spending so much time sitting on the potty we did manage to successfully catch the first wee and she was very pleased with herself and the sticker and chocolate raisin that she received.

I think the first wee was the easiest! We then we managed to miss a couple of wees. Little Lady was at the first stage: telling me after they had happened! She didn’t like the sensation of being wet. The first day was exhausting. It was basically 1001 ways of getting her to sit on the potty every 15 minutes or so and hopefully catching the wee. I had read in a book that it was important to get as much liquid into your child as possible in these early days. For me this was a massive error that ended up adding to the stress of the situation. It seemed like she was weeing all the time and I had no real idea how long she usually went in between wees.

I found it really hard keeping Little Lady on the potty long enough for her to relax and produce something. It was definitely important to sit alongside her and wait. Here are a few things that did work:

A big pile of books
A magnetic drawing board
Songs on the internet
Stickers
Games on the ipad
And as a last resort - T.V. We used programmes on the internet as they have a definite end without going into the next one.

We had a small camping table the right height for Little Lady when she was on the potty. This meant that we could do jigsaws, drawing, gluing and sticking old magazines, stamping.

The ipad and the T.V. were by far the most convenient but also the most problematic because Little Lady liked them too much and didn’t want them to be switched off!


Rewards
We had three kinds of rewards initially - stickers, chocolate drops/chocolate raisins and telling other people of Little Lady’s success. These rewards were accompanied by lots of praise and talking about what a big girl she was. As time went on I would just have little pots of chocolate raisins or chocolate buttons in my bag, upstairs and downstairs. Little Lady didn’t really have chocolate otherwise so this was quite a treat. Not everyone agrees with a food reward but I felt it was helpful and not indefinite.


Feeling like giving up
Expect to think about giving up, talk about giving up and be constantly debating the pros and cons of giving up in the early days of potty training. This lasted about a week for me. My poor friends must have been fed up of this conversation. Potty training is very, very hard. I think that the younger the child is, the harder it is. I am not sure that I even believe people who say it is easy. Don’t give up. Give the training a fair run to work. That’s got to be at least one to two weeks and then like any parenting challenge, it suddenly gets a lot easier.

I was fortunate to have a very honest friend who described potty training as one of the hardest weeks of parenting (until her second child arrived). It’s so refreshing and helpful to have people who are honest rather than those who create an impression of everything working immediately. Her honesty helped me to carry on. Another friend who works with families really helped me to stop giving up by reminding me that it was going to be hard whenever I did it. I could not face the dread of starting the process starting again and throwing away the hard work that Little Lady and I had already put in.


Looking back now I feel that it was fairest to Little Lady to keep going. Young children like to have routine and boundaries. I’d introduced a whole load of new ones in the first week of potty training and to suddenly throw those things out would have been very confusing. She was happy if slightly bemused and it was just me who was collapsing on the sofa each evening wondering when normal service would resume.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Michael Morpurgo's Farm Boy @ Lichfield Garrick

The author Michael Morpurgo is a brilliant story teller and his Farm Boy story is no exception. This production has at its core a story that hooks you in and keeps you captivated. A grandfather and his grandson talk you through stories from their family that intertwine with the history of World War One and life on a farm. This play had parts that made me smile and chuckle but more parts that gave me goosebumps and a ripple of emotion. When grandfather made a confession and called on his grandson to help him, I was hooked waiting to hear the burden that he had born for his entire life. No spoilers though, come and see the play for yourself. The music in Farm Boy is an original score written by Matt Marks. It enhanced the story telling evoking memories and pictures in my mind. This combined with the strength of the story is clearly the reason the show has been at the Edinburgh Fringe and 'off Broadway' in New York. Throughout the show, there are just two actors on the stage: Gran

Midlands Family Days Out in 2023

Many of you love planning family days out. So what's better than viewing a year ahead? I will update this post to share great days out around the West Midlands for families. Many of the events that I share are either free or low cost. Feel free to book mark the this page to see new information as the year progresses. Also find me on Instagram @capablechild January Lunar New year Celebrations fill the Bullring and Grand Central with performances on Saturday 21st January. These continue in Birmingham's Southside on Sunday 22nd January with food stalls, family activities and performances. We have joined in these celebrations in previous years and my children loved the lively, bright dancing. https://www.birminghamhippodrome.com/save-the-date-lunar-new-year-celebrations-return-to-birmingham-in-january/ February Dippy the Dinosaur arrives in Coventry at The Herbert Art Gallery. Tickets are free but expect them to go fast! Over half term there are family activities including crafts

Beauty and the Beast @ Lichfield Garrick

“That was so funny I nearly wet myself!”  Such was my 11 year old daughter’s review of the Lichfield Garrick’s 2023 Christmas Panto - Beauty and the Beast. Truth be told, although I hopefully have more bladder control than that, I was in pretty close agreement with her. I’m not sure which part of the show was the most hilarious. It may have been the obligatory slapstick gunge and slide routine making pudding in the Beast’s castle kitchen. However, Figgy the animated (and socially borderline) Greek statue was in hot pursuit. Had I been the unsuspecting gentleman who sat on the front row I may have found the audience participation rather less comedic (he loved it really!!!). What I do know though is that by the end of the evening my sides hurt, I’d become seriously dehydrated and my daughter and I were ready for the festive Christmas season to begin! You may wonder how Beauty and the Beast could pass for panto? However, Sam Rabone’s annual Pantomime dame, reappearing as Belle’s hideously