Skip to main content

Christmas Traditions




Last week at the cinema I watched ‘Olaf’s Frozen Adventure’. It’s a short film where Olaf, in his usual comical style, is searching for a family tradition for Elsa and Anna. As I watched Olaf knocking on the doors of Arendelle to find out what tradition each family had, it made me consider what our family traditions are.

When I first got married, I found it a challenge meshing two lots of family traditions together. However, since having my Little Lady we have actually found our own way. Here are some of ours:




Making a gingerbread house is such a fun activity that usually involves eating plenty of sweets. I should fess up that we don’t exactly make the gingerbread house. We use a kit and decorate it. We have tried kits from various supermarkets but the best by far is from Lidl. (They sell out quickly!) The gingerbread is glossy and the sweets are juicy and it makes a particularly impressive house. We have Christmas music playing and take our time. The gingerbread house is then a brilliant decoration or table centre piece until we crack it open and eat it on Boxing Day.







When I asked some children at my school about their Christmas traditions many had a tradition linked to putting up their Christmas tree, often on December 1st. Our family is no exception in having a tree tradition.  We have a real tree. This is something that I really struggled with in meshing our family traditions together. I come from an artificial tree family and my husband comes from a real tree family. I particularly struggled with the yearly expense of the real tree and grumbled and groaned but my husband insisted and eventually, I have come round to the idea. In fact, I’ve embraced it. For the last two years we have headed off to a farm shop off the M54 with our axe and saw to pick our own Christmas tree. It’s been so much fun. They take you out to the tree field on their tractor and trailer, drop you off and you then cut down your own tree before hitching a ride back. It’s a welly boots, hats, scarves and gloves day usually followed by a coffee and cake in the farm shop café.




I believe it’s really important that my Little Lady knows the ‘reason for the season’. Christmas can so easily be such a busy commercial time that the reason we are celebrating gets lost. We have a fantastic Playmobil nativity set that we love to get out and act the story of Jesus’ birth and all his visitors. We also go to a crib service where Little Lady joins in to act out the nativity story - providing she approves of the costume. (Most churches have something similar.) Little Lady is hoping for the Mary role one year!




On Christmas eve we put out a mince pie and drink for Santa and carrots for the reindeers. We then cuddle up together and read The Night Before Christmas. It feels a magical moment and time to get excited that Santa is on his way. We have a look on the Santa tracker app and then put little Lady to bed, always hopeful that she will go to sleep easily.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Michael Morpurgo's Farm Boy @ Lichfield Garrick

The author Michael Morpurgo is a brilliant story teller and his Farm Boy story is no exception. This production has at its core a story that hooks you in and keeps you captivated. A grandfather and his grandson talk you through stories from their family that intertwine with the history of World War One and life on a farm. This play had parts that made me smile and chuckle but more parts that gave me goosebumps and a ripple of emotion. When grandfather made a confession and called on his grandson to help him, I was hooked waiting to hear the burden that he had born for his entire life. No spoilers though, come and see the play for yourself. The music in Farm Boy is an original score written by Matt Marks. It enhanced the story telling evoking memories and pictures in my mind. This combined with the strength of the story is clearly the reason the show has been at the Edinburgh Fringe and 'off Broadway' in New York. Throughout the show, there are just two actors on the stage: Gran

Midlands Family Days Out in 2023

Many of you love planning family days out. So what's better than viewing a year ahead? I will update this post to share great days out around the West Midlands for families. Many of the events that I share are either free or low cost. Feel free to book mark the this page to see new information as the year progresses. Also find me on Instagram @capablechild January Lunar New year Celebrations fill the Bullring and Grand Central with performances on Saturday 21st January. These continue in Birmingham's Southside on Sunday 22nd January with food stalls, family activities and performances. We have joined in these celebrations in previous years and my children loved the lively, bright dancing. https://www.birminghamhippodrome.com/save-the-date-lunar-new-year-celebrations-return-to-birmingham-in-january/ February Dippy the Dinosaur arrives in Coventry at The Herbert Art Gallery. Tickets are free but expect them to go fast! Over half term there are family activities including crafts

Beauty and the Beast @ Lichfield Garrick

“That was so funny I nearly wet myself!”  Such was my 11 year old daughter’s review of the Lichfield Garrick’s 2023 Christmas Panto - Beauty and the Beast. Truth be told, although I hopefully have more bladder control than that, I was in pretty close agreement with her. I’m not sure which part of the show was the most hilarious. It may have been the obligatory slapstick gunge and slide routine making pudding in the Beast’s castle kitchen. However, Figgy the animated (and socially borderline) Greek statue was in hot pursuit. Had I been the unsuspecting gentleman who sat on the front row I may have found the audience participation rather less comedic (he loved it really!!!). What I do know though is that by the end of the evening my sides hurt, I’d become seriously dehydrated and my daughter and I were ready for the festive Christmas season to begin! You may wonder how Beauty and the Beast could pass for panto? However, Sam Rabone’s annual Pantomime dame, reappearing as Belle’s hideously