Skip to main content

Challenges of Potty Training



Whoever says potty training is easy, is not sharing the whole picture. Potty training is a learning process and there will be challenges along the way. Here are some of the challenges that I faced and how I survived them. 

Going Out and About
I really struggled with hanging around the house with just the potty for company in the first week of potty training. But going out felt impossible. The first couple of times that we went out it was a team approach with a sympathetic family member. I knew the worst thing that could happen was a wet patch and on the scale of things it really wasn’t a big deal. But just when my bag was getting lighter, it filled up with changes of clothes. The first couple of outings were to the park or understanding relatives and really it was fine. I’d built it up to be more daunting than it actually was. They weren't completely puddle free trips but we all survived.

It took a while before I returned to the supermarket with Little Lady because I was terrified of her announcing that she needed a wee in the frozen food aisle at the furthest point from the toilets. I quickly converted to internet shopping which was infinitely more practical. We did eventually return. I picked my moments and encouraged a wee before we went. I also meanly limited Little Lady drinking huge amounts from her favourite straw cup whilst in the supermarket- this could have spelled disaster.

I took a potty with me when we went out and about. I think that very few people actually do this but the stress of finding a toilet and waiting in a queue was too much! Initially, I took a small potty that we used at home before purchasing a travel potty with disposable plastic liners. It took a moment or two to set up the travel potty but it  fitted  easily into my usual bag meaning that I didn’t have to trundle around an extra potty bag!

In the car, amazingly, we have only had one accident. Again, I tried to encourage a wee before we went out anywhere. I used an old towel as a cushion in the bottom of the car seat because washing a car seat is a major pain. (I know!)


Nap Times
Nap time presented another challenge. As part of the routine before nap time, Little Lady would sit on the toilet or potty and have a story. She usually produced something and this helped her to go long enough during her nap. She wore a nappy during her sleep and if it was dry afterwards she was rewarded with lots of big girl praise and a small chocolate. Her nappy was usually dry unless she has drunk an exceptional amount during lunch. When we were out of our normal routine and she was likely to nap in the car or pushchair, I did put a nappy on her. Again giving lots of praise if the nappy was dry when we took it off.


Illness
About a month into Little Lady being trained she picked up a sickness bug. I was absolutely dreading it becoming diarrhoea as well but we largely escaped.  We did have some regression in potty training during this time. I have a friend whose theory is that children regress slightly in what they are able or willing to do when they are ill. This was definitely true with Little Lady in other areas such as the range of food she ate or her willingness to feed herself when she was younger. During the bout of illness she had a couple of accidents.


As Little Lady’s illness subsided she went back to where she had been with potty training. There was a temptation to put a nappy on whilst she was ill but I knew deep down that this was a bad idea and resisted the temptation. She had a couple of occasions where she needed to go on the potty pretty quickly and produced a very loose poo but she still managed to let us know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Michael Morpurgo's Farm Boy @ Lichfield Garrick

The author Michael Morpurgo is a brilliant story teller and his Farm Boy story is no exception. This production has at its core a story that hooks you in and keeps you captivated. A grandfather and his grandson talk you through stories from their family that intertwine with the history of World War One and life on a farm. This play had parts that made me smile and chuckle but more parts that gave me goosebumps and a ripple of emotion. When grandfather made a confession and called on his grandson to help him, I was hooked waiting to hear the burden that he had born for his entire life. No spoilers though, come and see the play for yourself. The music in Farm Boy is an original score written by Matt Marks. It enhanced the story telling evoking memories and pictures in my mind. This combined with the strength of the story is clearly the reason the show has been at the Edinburgh Fringe and 'off Broadway' in New York. Throughout the show, there are just two actors on the stage: Gran

Midlands Family Days Out in 2023

Many of you love planning family days out. So what's better than viewing a year ahead? I will update this post to share great days out around the West Midlands for families. Many of the events that I share are either free or low cost. Feel free to book mark the this page to see new information as the year progresses. Also find me on Instagram @capablechild January Lunar New year Celebrations fill the Bullring and Grand Central with performances on Saturday 21st January. These continue in Birmingham's Southside on Sunday 22nd January with food stalls, family activities and performances. We have joined in these celebrations in previous years and my children loved the lively, bright dancing. https://www.birminghamhippodrome.com/save-the-date-lunar-new-year-celebrations-return-to-birmingham-in-january/ February Dippy the Dinosaur arrives in Coventry at The Herbert Art Gallery. Tickets are free but expect them to go fast! Over half term there are family activities including crafts

Beauty and the Beast @ Lichfield Garrick

“That was so funny I nearly wet myself!”  Such was my 11 year old daughter’s review of the Lichfield Garrick’s 2023 Christmas Panto - Beauty and the Beast. Truth be told, although I hopefully have more bladder control than that, I was in pretty close agreement with her. I’m not sure which part of the show was the most hilarious. It may have been the obligatory slapstick gunge and slide routine making pudding in the Beast’s castle kitchen. However, Figgy the animated (and socially borderline) Greek statue was in hot pursuit. Had I been the unsuspecting gentleman who sat on the front row I may have found the audience participation rather less comedic (he loved it really!!!). What I do know though is that by the end of the evening my sides hurt, I’d become seriously dehydrated and my daughter and I were ready for the festive Christmas season to begin! You may wonder how Beauty and the Beast could pass for panto? However, Sam Rabone’s annual Pantomime dame, reappearing as Belle’s hideously