Skip to main content

Boston Children's Museum


As we entered Boston Children’s Museum and saw the most amazing, three storey climbing platform with children crawling all over it, we knew that we were in for a treat. Little Lady headed straight for the structure and we had some difficulty persuading her to come off it so that we could explore the rest of the museum. There were three floors to explore and we headed to the top to begin.

The construction zone was our first stop and it was clearly very popular. Children could build with all types of material. There were trucks, cranes, tunnels and ramps to investigate. At home, Little Lady rarely chooses to play with her construction sets but as we all started building, she got involved too. It was a brilliant place for promoting STEM. Unfortunately, we had difficulty persuading my husband to leave!
 

We headed next to a complete Japanese house from Kyoto. This is not what I had been expecting to visit in central Boston! We loved walking around with our shoes off on the tatami matting and even getting to peek in the bathroom- the bit kids really want to find out about.

One of our favourite exhibitions was ‘Explore-a-Saurus.’ A large Dilophosaurus that children can operate using controls was the exhibition’s highlight, and we all wanted a go. ‘Explore-a-Saurus’, cleverly answers questions that children may ask about dinosaurs but in an environment where children can touch, press, measure and interact with everything. To find out how tall different dinosaurs were, children can project images onto a screen and compare them with human adults and children.



We eventually moved to the second floor where there was plenty to entertain younger children. There is a space specifically for under threes and a ‘Countdown to Kindergarten’ space for pre-schoolers. But also on this floor was the water play. This is something that I had wrongly assumed Little Lady had grown out of! The apron went on and she played and played until it was time to dry herself off under the special quiet hand driers provided for damp children.

On our return to the ground floor, Little Lady was straight back onto the climbing platform only pausing to wave to us from different levels. I sneaked off for a look around the museum shop- the books alone were brilliantly chosen and endlessly appealing. The staff here are clearly tuned into what children like!


Before our visit, a friend of my told me that in her opinion, this was the best children’s museum in the world. I have only been to a handful but, after visiting, I’m inclined to agree (but willing to be challenged). We really had the most amazing time. Hubby and I felt like big kids and Little Lady was enthralled by every new room that we went into. I would love to see something like this in the UK. I’m sure many local families must have the annual pass but, if like us, you are Boston with your children for a short time, make it a priority to visit this excellent museum.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Michael Morpurgo's Farm Boy @ Lichfield Garrick

The author Michael Morpurgo is a brilliant story teller and his Farm Boy story is no exception. This production has at its core a story that hooks you in and keeps you captivated. A grandfather and his grandson talk you through stories from their family that intertwine with the history of World War One and life on a farm. This play had parts that made me smile and chuckle but more parts that gave me goosebumps and a ripple of emotion. When grandfather made a confession and called on his grandson to help him, I was hooked waiting to hear the burden that he had born for his entire life. No spoilers though, come and see the play for yourself. The music in Farm Boy is an original score written by Matt Marks. It enhanced the story telling evoking memories and pictures in my mind. This combined with the strength of the story is clearly the reason the show has been at the Edinburgh Fringe and 'off Broadway' in New York. Throughout the show, there are just two actors on the stage: Gran

Midlands Family Days Out in 2023

Many of you love planning family days out. So what's better than viewing a year ahead? I will update this post to share great days out around the West Midlands for families. Many of the events that I share are either free or low cost. Feel free to book mark the this page to see new information as the year progresses. Also find me on Instagram @capablechild January Lunar New year Celebrations fill the Bullring and Grand Central with performances on Saturday 21st January. These continue in Birmingham's Southside on Sunday 22nd January with food stalls, family activities and performances. We have joined in these celebrations in previous years and my children loved the lively, bright dancing. https://www.birminghamhippodrome.com/save-the-date-lunar-new-year-celebrations-return-to-birmingham-in-january/ February Dippy the Dinosaur arrives in Coventry at The Herbert Art Gallery. Tickets are free but expect them to go fast! Over half term there are family activities including crafts

Beauty and the Beast @ Lichfield Garrick

“That was so funny I nearly wet myself!”  Such was my 11 year old daughter’s review of the Lichfield Garrick’s 2023 Christmas Panto - Beauty and the Beast. Truth be told, although I hopefully have more bladder control than that, I was in pretty close agreement with her. I’m not sure which part of the show was the most hilarious. It may have been the obligatory slapstick gunge and slide routine making pudding in the Beast’s castle kitchen. However, Figgy the animated (and socially borderline) Greek statue was in hot pursuit. Had I been the unsuspecting gentleman who sat on the front row I may have found the audience participation rather less comedic (he loved it really!!!). What I do know though is that by the end of the evening my sides hurt, I’d become seriously dehydrated and my daughter and I were ready for the festive Christmas season to begin! You may wonder how Beauty and the Beast could pass for panto? However, Sam Rabone’s annual Pantomime dame, reappearing as Belle’s hideously