Skip to main content

Ocean Odyssey in Times Square

Hitting New York as a family, we were full of excitement and anticipation. We were waiting outside a store for it to open at 9am! We took selfies and videos of the famous sites in Times Square. But soon after that legs were tired. Temperatures were rising and humidity was close to 50%. It was with a sigh of relief that we entered the cool of National Geographic Encounter. Little people will only walk so far and look at so many famous buildings.

Ocean Odyssey is an immersive experience that uses the latest technology to take you under the ocean. Our expectations were high as we ‘took the dive’ to our first location- the shallows of the South Pacific. Fish swam under our feet and adults and children jumped around as the creatures interacted with us. Jellyfish responded as we moved our arms and got up close. We loved the fact that Ocean Odyssey isn’t a show that you sit back and watch but an experience that you can interact with. Those tired little legs suddenly weren’t tired anymore.




The was so much to see but one of the highlights was ‘The Ocean at Night’. As we entered an almost pitch black room, the ocean came alive with sounds of the night. We could see enormous whales swimming within a few feet of us. But I loved closing my eyes and just listening. I was worried that Little Lady might be frightened but, as she sat on my lap, she was just listening too. There was a dark underwater world of sound that we had never imagined.


I had thought that the Ocean Odyssey would be great for children and keep them happy and occupied. It was and it did. However, as an adult I had a really great time. I had expected high quality images and video, and that was all there. I hadn’t expected to have so much fun interacting with the visual effects. 


My family’s favourite part was the 3D experience. Little Lady loved putting the 3D goggles on and watching ocean creatures swimming seemingly within touching distance.  It was so fast paced and cleverly filmed that it felt like we were actually there with the animals.



We ended the journey with ‘Clean Up the Ocean’. As a family, we have become more and more concerned about the impact of plastic on the ocean. In this section, through multi-media screens, games and images, the message really hit home.  After witnessing the incredible creatures inhabiting our oceans, the message to protect our oceans was loud and clear. 


National Geographic Encounter is a unique place for families to visit right in the middle of New York. The average visit time is 90-120 minutes and you move around most of the experience as a group before having free time in the ‘Exploration Hall’. I would recommend the experience for ages 5 all the way through to adulthood. For children with an interest in the ocean, or those studying oceans at school, the National Geographic Encounter will truly bring the topic to life. Tickets are expensive but then it is New York and this is a brilliant treat for children and adults alike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Michael Morpurgo's Farm Boy @ Lichfield Garrick

The author Michael Morpurgo is a brilliant story teller and his Farm Boy story is no exception. This production has at its core a story that hooks you in and keeps you captivated. A grandfather and his grandson talk you through stories from their family that intertwine with the history of World War One and life on a farm. This play had parts that made me smile and chuckle but more parts that gave me goosebumps and a ripple of emotion. When grandfather made a confession and called on his grandson to help him, I was hooked waiting to hear the burden that he had born for his entire life. No spoilers though, come and see the play for yourself. The music in Farm Boy is an original score written by Matt Marks. It enhanced the story telling evoking memories and pictures in my mind. This combined with the strength of the story is clearly the reason the show has been at the Edinburgh Fringe and 'off Broadway' in New York. Throughout the show, there are just two actors on the stage: Gran

Midlands Family Days Out in 2023

Many of you love planning family days out. So what's better than viewing a year ahead? I will update this post to share great days out around the West Midlands for families. Many of the events that I share are either free or low cost. Feel free to book mark the this page to see new information as the year progresses. Also find me on Instagram @capablechild January Lunar New year Celebrations fill the Bullring and Grand Central with performances on Saturday 21st January. These continue in Birmingham's Southside on Sunday 22nd January with food stalls, family activities and performances. We have joined in these celebrations in previous years and my children loved the lively, bright dancing. https://www.birminghamhippodrome.com/save-the-date-lunar-new-year-celebrations-return-to-birmingham-in-january/ February Dippy the Dinosaur arrives in Coventry at The Herbert Art Gallery. Tickets are free but expect them to go fast! Over half term there are family activities including crafts

Beauty and the Beast @ Lichfield Garrick

“That was so funny I nearly wet myself!”  Such was my 11 year old daughter’s review of the Lichfield Garrick’s 2023 Christmas Panto - Beauty and the Beast. Truth be told, although I hopefully have more bladder control than that, I was in pretty close agreement with her. I’m not sure which part of the show was the most hilarious. It may have been the obligatory slapstick gunge and slide routine making pudding in the Beast’s castle kitchen. However, Figgy the animated (and socially borderline) Greek statue was in hot pursuit. Had I been the unsuspecting gentleman who sat on the front row I may have found the audience participation rather less comedic (he loved it really!!!). What I do know though is that by the end of the evening my sides hurt, I’d become seriously dehydrated and my daughter and I were ready for the festive Christmas season to begin! You may wonder how Beauty and the Beast could pass for panto? However, Sam Rabone’s annual Pantomime dame, reappearing as Belle’s hideously