Skip to main content

A Family Adventure in Lapland



Last New Year, I headed off to Lapland with my family. It was a fantastic experience which I recommend. Here are just a few insider tips that the brochures don’t tell you.


Food
The food is expensive in Finland. This is no surprise, but what options do you have? I recommend taking plenty of snacks. Cold children are hungry children and being able to placate them with a cereal bar makes everyone’s life easier. We also took sandwiches that we had purchased just before our UK morning flight so that when we arrived at lunch time we had food with us to eat as soon as we got to our hotel.

Most Lapland packages from the UK are half board. This is a great option as you can eat a substantial breakfast and evening meal. At lunch time many restaurants and hotels do a soup and bread lunch for just under ten euros or you can try a fast food restaurant. The food in the hotels is good and varied so even children with a limited diet can usually find something they like, such as fish fingers, meat balls, chips, potatoes and bread.


Saunas 
There is a reason that saunas are so popular in Finland. When you have been outside in sub-zero temperatures all day, you want to be warmed to your core. I deliberately chose a hotel with a sauna because I find it so relaxing being completely warm. You have to be a little brave to go in a Finnish sauna though, because you go in naked. The etiquette is that you shower before your sauna and take a towel in with you. Outside the sauna there is a roll of tear off pieces of paper. These are for you to sit on. Alternatively, you can sit on your towel. You can of course keep the towel wrapped around you but when everyone else in sauna is naked, you do tend to stand out!

Saunas are part of the Finish culture. Do not be surprised to see very young children and pregnant ladies in them. They are mercifully single sex in hotels! If you really are too shy to bare all, then consider choosing an apartment or hotel room with your own private sauna.



Clothing
I’m sure that most people who go to Lapland take way too many clothes with them. I only wore one third of what I actually took with me. Remember that your holiday is probably short, so your whole jumper collection is not needed. If you are travelling with a company that provides an all in one snow suit, this will be a huge help in staying warm. What you do need to go with it is a good quality set of base layers, warm socks, thin gloves to go under mittens, a warm hat, a snood to protect your face against the snow and clothing that you can layer.

I made a rooky error on my trip. So concerned was I with my warm clothes, that I forgot Lappish hotels are toasty warm. I didn’t need or want to sit in a fleece to eat my dinner. I wanted a nice top to put on, but they were all hanging in my wardrobe at home. Your hotel room is also likely to be super insulated so leave the fleecy pyjamas at home and bring something light to sleep in.




Excursions
When you arrive at your resort, a short walk around is likely to lead you to companies offering excursions. You can go directly to them - Finns frequently speak excellent English and prices are usually cheaper than your UK tour operator. A number of excursion companies have websites for you to book in advance. Depending on what you want to do, you may not even need to book onto an excursion. We really wanted to visit an ice bar and with a little bit of research we found there was one 15 minutes walk away and we paid the entrance fee direct. Another friend used a taxi to reach the ice bar with her young children.

Don’t feel that you have to fill your holiday with excursions. It’s great to allow time just to play in the snow. Around our resort, we found toboggans lying around that were free to use. A quick enquiry at your hotel will direct you to where the locals go sledging. My favourite experience during our stay in Lapland was when we followed the hiking trails behind the hotel to an aurora cabin. We pulled Little Lady in a toboggan along well signposted snowy paths until we reached a cabin in the woods. It was open and free to go in with a giant balcony to watch for the Northern Lights. Sadly, it was too cloudy to see the lights but the whole experience was full of excitement and adventure.


A trip to Lapland is an amazing experience. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Michael Morpurgo's Farm Boy @ Lichfield Garrick

The author Michael Morpurgo is a brilliant story teller and his Farm Boy story is no exception. This production has at its core a story that hooks you in and keeps you captivated. A grandfather and his grandson talk you through stories from their family that intertwine with the history of World War One and life on a farm. This play had parts that made me smile and chuckle but more parts that gave me goosebumps and a ripple of emotion. When grandfather made a confession and called on his grandson to help him, I was hooked waiting to hear the burden that he had born for his entire life. No spoilers though, come and see the play for yourself. The music in Farm Boy is an original score written by Matt Marks. It enhanced the story telling evoking memories and pictures in my mind. This combined with the strength of the story is clearly the reason the show has been at the Edinburgh Fringe and 'off Broadway' in New York. Throughout the show, there are just two actors on the stage: Gran

Midlands Family Days Out in 2023

Many of you love planning family days out. So what's better than viewing a year ahead? I will update this post to share great days out around the West Midlands for families. Many of the events that I share are either free or low cost. Feel free to book mark the this page to see new information as the year progresses. Also find me on Instagram @capablechild January Lunar New year Celebrations fill the Bullring and Grand Central with performances on Saturday 21st January. These continue in Birmingham's Southside on Sunday 22nd January with food stalls, family activities and performances. We have joined in these celebrations in previous years and my children loved the lively, bright dancing. https://www.birminghamhippodrome.com/save-the-date-lunar-new-year-celebrations-return-to-birmingham-in-january/ February Dippy the Dinosaur arrives in Coventry at The Herbert Art Gallery. Tickets are free but expect them to go fast! Over half term there are family activities including crafts

Beauty and the Beast @ Lichfield Garrick

“That was so funny I nearly wet myself!”  Such was my 11 year old daughter’s review of the Lichfield Garrick’s 2023 Christmas Panto - Beauty and the Beast. Truth be told, although I hopefully have more bladder control than that, I was in pretty close agreement with her. I’m not sure which part of the show was the most hilarious. It may have been the obligatory slapstick gunge and slide routine making pudding in the Beast’s castle kitchen. However, Figgy the animated (and socially borderline) Greek statue was in hot pursuit. Had I been the unsuspecting gentleman who sat on the front row I may have found the audience participation rather less comedic (he loved it really!!!). What I do know though is that by the end of the evening my sides hurt, I’d become seriously dehydrated and my daughter and I were ready for the festive Christmas season to begin! You may wonder how Beauty and the Beast could pass for panto? However, Sam Rabone’s annual Pantomime dame, reappearing as Belle’s hideously