Skip to main content

Accidental Homeschooling



Along with millions of other parents around the country, I’m suddenly an accidental home schooler. Whilst some children are due back at school soon, for others there could be many more weeks of home school. Over 15 years of teaching experience means that I didn’t feel the rise of panic that many other parents faced. I have access to resources and have ideas up my sleeve to fall back on. However, there have been challenges and over the weeks of accidental homeschooling, I’ve certainly changed my approach along the way to make life a little easier.

Less is More!
An experienced homeschooler once told me that she only had to do a few hours a day to cover the whole curriculum with her child. Impossible, I thought. Children are at school for over 6 hours a day. It’s hard for teachers to fit everything in.  I now find that it is indeed possible. 1 to 1 for most children means that things can be covered much more quickly.  A couple of hours of good concentration (if you can get it!) is much better than sitting slogging through 6 hours of home school while the sun shines outside.


Follow Your Child’s Interests
I admit to being a little naughty. I haven’t followed the curriculum sent through by my daughter’s school. I asked my daughter what topics she wanted to learn about and that’s what we have been covering. (The National Curriculum has been suspended anyway.) Learning about subjects of personal interest has really helped with motivation.


Plug the Gaps
This is a sure fire way to help your child make progress and the biggest benefit of home schooling. I’m certainly not the only teacher home schooler working this way. I know the skills that my child find trickiest so these have been our focus. In Maths sessions, we have covered some of the complicated bits of the curriculum like fractions and time. 1 to 1 really helps children grasp some of these challenging concepts.

Rewards
Show me a child that has had a grumpy day or a few tears during homeschooling! It’s happened to us all. My teacher friends freely admit it! It’s horrible and your child knows just how to tug at your heartstrings.  After a particularly grumpy week, we decided that positive attitudes = rewards. I was reluctant to go down this path, for various reasons, but the promise of watching a TV program cuddled up with daddy or an ice cream for pudding have greatly improved Little Lady’s perseverance


Celebrate Success
We have been keeping a folder of all the work that we have done and it’s a pleasure to look back through. Are we doing enough? Are we missing bits of the curriculum? A look through the folder helps us all to remember how hard we have all been working. We have also received encouragement from sending photos and video clips to grandparents who can be relied up for positive responses.


So if you have more weeks of home school lying ahead of you. I encourage you to keep going but look at ways of making it a little easier on all of you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Michael Morpurgo's Farm Boy @ Lichfield Garrick

The author Michael Morpurgo is a brilliant story teller and his Farm Boy story is no exception. This production has at its core a story that hooks you in and keeps you captivated. A grandfather and his grandson talk you through stories from their family that intertwine with the history of World War One and life on a farm. This play had parts that made me smile and chuckle but more parts that gave me goosebumps and a ripple of emotion. When grandfather made a confession and called on his grandson to help him, I was hooked waiting to hear the burden that he had born for his entire life. No spoilers though, come and see the play for yourself. The music in Farm Boy is an original score written by Matt Marks. It enhanced the story telling evoking memories and pictures in my mind. This combined with the strength of the story is clearly the reason the show has been at the Edinburgh Fringe and 'off Broadway' in New York. Throughout the show, there are just two actors on the stage: Gran

Midlands Family Days Out in 2023

Many of you love planning family days out. So what's better than viewing a year ahead? I will update this post to share great days out around the West Midlands for families. Many of the events that I share are either free or low cost. Feel free to book mark the this page to see new information as the year progresses. Also find me on Instagram @capablechild January Lunar New year Celebrations fill the Bullring and Grand Central with performances on Saturday 21st January. These continue in Birmingham's Southside on Sunday 22nd January with food stalls, family activities and performances. We have joined in these celebrations in previous years and my children loved the lively, bright dancing. https://www.birminghamhippodrome.com/save-the-date-lunar-new-year-celebrations-return-to-birmingham-in-january/ February Dippy the Dinosaur arrives in Coventry at The Herbert Art Gallery. Tickets are free but expect them to go fast! Over half term there are family activities including crafts

Beauty and the Beast @ Lichfield Garrick

“That was so funny I nearly wet myself!”  Such was my 11 year old daughter’s review of the Lichfield Garrick’s 2023 Christmas Panto - Beauty and the Beast. Truth be told, although I hopefully have more bladder control than that, I was in pretty close agreement with her. I’m not sure which part of the show was the most hilarious. It may have been the obligatory slapstick gunge and slide routine making pudding in the Beast’s castle kitchen. However, Figgy the animated (and socially borderline) Greek statue was in hot pursuit. Had I been the unsuspecting gentleman who sat on the front row I may have found the audience participation rather less comedic (he loved it really!!!). What I do know though is that by the end of the evening my sides hurt, I’d become seriously dehydrated and my daughter and I were ready for the festive Christmas season to begin! You may wonder how Beauty and the Beast could pass for panto? However, Sam Rabone’s annual Pantomime dame, reappearing as Belle’s hideously